Sunday, October 14, 2012

Lemon Time

New Zealand is coming out of winter and entering spring.
Well it sure felt like it last week. This weekend I think we have taken 3 gigantic steps backwards! Wind and rain like never before is lashing the country from top to bottom!

The lemon trees however are doing fine and there is plenty to go round.
So when you have lemons...make lemonade...or in this case lemon curd.


I love lemon curd, freshly made on a thick slab of fresh crusty bread, nothing better than sinking your teeth into lemon and fresh bread.


Now I know you can make this in the microwave but I still like to make it on the stove with a double boiler, or in my case the old fashion way of standing a dish in a saucepan of boiling water.


Lemon Curd

50g Butter
3/4 cup sugar
1 cup lemon juice
2 eggs, beaten
1 tsp finely grated lemon rind

Melt the butter in the double boiler.
Stir in sugar and lemon juice until sugar is dissolved.
Add the eggs and lemon rind.
Cook, stirring all the time, until mixture thickens.
Pour into hot sterilised jars.

Makes about 2 x 250ml jars.
Will keep in the fridge for about 3-4 weeks.

Mine sadly does not last that long in the fridge! Eaten before it ever gets that far.
Also I find this recipe is a little runny. I cook for about 15 minutes. It does thicken up but not a solid set, but it still taste divine.

2 comments:

Alexis AKA MOM said...

Oh goodness that looks amazing! I couldn't stop myself with just one little bite!

Bron said...

MMMM we have a big lemon tree and i always love to try something new....haven't done curd before I think I might give this a try. xxx