Monday, December 24, 2012

Christmas Eve Tradition

I managed to find several Christmas Books over the years and have started a lovely tradition in our family of reading them on this lovely night.

I have the usual great one....
"Twas the night before Christmas...."


Which we all know so well with the stockings hung by the firplace and visions of sugar plums dancing in our heads.

And then I also have the New Zealand flavoured one....
"A Kiwi Night Before Christmas"


Twas the night before Christmas, and all round the bach
Not a possum was stirring; not one could we catch
We’d left on the table a meat pie and beer,
In hopes that Santa Claus soon would be here

We children were snuggled up in our bunk beds,
While dreams of pavlova danced in our head;
And Mum in her nightie, and Dad in his shorts,
Had just settled down to watch TV sports,

When outside the bach such a hoo-ha arose,
I woke up at once from my wonderful doze.
I ran straight to the sliding door, looking about,
Jumped out on the deck, and let out a shout!

The fairy lights Dad had strung up round the door
Let me see everything, down to the shore.
And what did I see, when I took a peep?
But a miniature tractor and eight tiny sheep,

It has a true New Zealand flavour to it and compliments the traditional one so nicely.
By the way, a bach = a holiday house by the beach

So that is how we end Christmas Eve as we try to settle the boys down to sleep on a sunny light evening with the temperature still warm and the humidity still high!
Do you have a tradition that you love to follow on this day?

Merry Christmas to all and to all a Good Night!

2 comments:

Alison said...

Love your version of my favourite Christmas book!
Alison xx

Alexis AKA MOM said...

Ahhh I love that tradition!!!