Friday, April 11, 2008

Works for Me Wednesday


Ok so I am a day or so out, but with the time differences etc I can be forgiven.
Shannon over at Rocks in My Dryer holds WFMW each week, this is where you post you tip saving ideas and then link it to her web site so others can come visit and read you marvelous tip.

Weekly Menus

When Ben was little I found after the long day of looking after him I had no energy to decide what to have for dinner! Were we going to have chicken, mince, sausages? If so how were they being cooked? What were we having with them? Had we had chicken the night before and now having chicken again tonight?

Some days it just became too much.
So one day I sat down and wrote out a list of all the meals we liked and ate.
I then wrote out a page with 4 weeks on it and started filling it in with the meals. (picture not the greatest, but gives you an idea)

Now this was the tricky part because I tried to make sure we didn't have chicken 2 nights running, also that what we were planning for the days when I was at work didn't take more than 30 minutes to cook, due to the time we got home etc.

Making pizza from scratch takes time so had to be something we had on the weekends, same with a roast dinner.

This probably took about 2 or 3 attempts before I had it finalised, but then I ran with it and it worked.
No more worrying about what to have, how to cook it or when to start it.
I could look at the menu at 8am and plan the day knowing when I had to start cooking dinner etc.

So if you want some control over meal times the try this. It is easy but can be time consuming to start with while you get it all set up, but the time saving afterwards is great.
So is the less stress from not having to worry each day about dinner.

I have since updated ours several times, as new meals come into play, the boys will now eat chilli, and other ways of doing chicken etc so I refresh the menu when we have new things to eat.

No comments: