Thursday, May 05, 2011

Loving Your Family but Needing More?

Once the boys came along, then I have not worked full time since. I mean, we never had the boys so that someone else could look after them for us, we wanted them and we were prepared to put in the hard slog. We were happy to have them in care but not fulltime.
I went back to work when Ben was 7 months old, only 2 days a week, but it did both of us good. It gave me interaction with adults and made me have to use my brain again and it gave Ben time to interact with other people and create great people skills.
When Alex came along 21 months later, well I took time off from work and when he was 7 months old I went back to work. This time however I went 3 days a week.
I have kept 3 days a week right up until I started the current job I am in, 18 months ago I decided that with Ben now at school and Alex 4 yrs old, then I could manage 4 days a week, which is kind of what the job was asking anyway.
It has sort of worked, even though the boys are out of the house from 7.30am until 5pm on the days that I work. However, getting a student home helper for the boys 2 afternoons a week has made things way easier.

Life however, is still very rushed, lots happening and loads to do. Work is not a breeze, it is not time away to interact anymore, it is work, it is hard and somedays I come home more tired than when I left in the morning, wondering how I am going to get everything done in the evening, still go to bed at a decent time and still manage to wake up the next morning. I also want to try and get things done in the evenings as well so everything does not get left until the weekend therefore encroaching on family time.
With doing my current study then I am using the one day a week that I am not at work as my study day. I take the boys to school, then spend the day studying, then pick the boys up at 3. It works, although I do love the quietness when I don't have any study to do and I can just dawdle along for the day having some me time.

Because out of everything that we do as a family, craving me time, is still there big time, and I know from a lot of the blogs I have read that I am not alone on this either.
People are always trying to help others understand how to fit in quality "me time"
Whilst surfing the blogs the other night I came across this post on this blog, she talked about time to ourselves and shared a link to a post she had found.

I love the idea, I think this could so work, even if you shared it around so that it wasn't every week but maybe it was taken in turns. Making say Wednesday the night off and then 1 week it was mum's turn and the next dad's, then back to mum etc.
Although I think I may crave this more than Steve does, but currently he is out twice a week at Judo, now I know this is an organised activity and there is sweat, blood and tears involved, but maybe that is enough for him?
I do have the PTA Meetings, but these are once every 6-8 weeks, so not regular.

However, being able to disappear for a couple of hours and just hang would be wonderful. I know the main library downtown is open until 8.30pm, would be so cool to just sit there and read, or watch the world go by.

What would you do?

No comments: