Friday, August 14, 2009

First Quilt

When I moved to New Zealand in 1998, I had just started to get into quilting.
I didn't however have a sewing machine nor in fact a sewing kit!
I did however have the afternoon free one weekend to go to a quilt show. Whilst there I got some material and decided that I could do a quilt by hand, why not? Everyone use to do it that way before machines etc.

So I started with a simple straight forward 9 Patch design.



And I sowed the whole thing, more or less by hand. I did spend a weekend at my Aunty's house one time and finish piecing the top with her machine!
But the backing fabric is 2 pieces joined together by hand.
Then I set about tacking it all together and then quilting it all by hand, with a hoop.


I started this quilt in 1998 and to this day it is sadly not quite finished!
I have all of the bottom row and a few squares up one side to finish, oh and then the binding.


One day I will get it complete, I will get in the right mood to want to sit down and finish it, but for now it is all wrapped up in the cupboard, waiting for that 'one day' to come along!

No comments: