Thursday, December 04, 2008

Commenting v Stalking

I follow several blogs, and some of them I could never tell you how I found them, I just start checking out one I follow regularly, then click on something else to read and then end up flowing on to something else and then come across something I like and decide to follow it!

So I had a smile on my face when I found the following on one of the blogs I check out The Pipers, I totally agree with what she has written and do hope she doesn't mind that I am putting some of it out there for others to view, because I feel it is really appropriate. If you would like to read the full version then please go here, oh and remember to check out what else The Pipers have to say..
_____________________________________________________

Your Not A Stalker.....

I’ve noticed a tentativeness among women in the blogosphere that I want to come against right now–you are (probably) not a stalker.

I know there are more people who read this blog than people who comment, and that is totally fine. But I’ve noticed that when a stranger or visitor does get up the gumption to comment, it’s usually laced with all kinds of insecure apology-like statements, like, “I don’t know you at all…”, “I just happened upon your blog…” or something to that effect.

I have noticed that men don’t feel the same compulsion to apologize profusely for reading another man’s blog, as though they accidentally stumbled upon his secret diary.

Let me assure you of a few things, and hopefully that will make the commenting flow more smoothly and eliminate the need for explanation:


  1. This is a public blog. I fully expect and hope for people who I don’t know to read here and comment. If I wanted comments only from people I know, I would publish a private blog.

  2. I really, really like meeting new people. It energizes me.

  3. You have probably found this blog through a couple different avenues, all of which are perfectly legitimate, and thus not stalker-like: 1) clicking through from one of my friends’ blogs where I’ve commented or where I’m listed on their blogroll; 2) random googling; 3) clicking from a relatives blog.

  4. I blog to connect with people that I wouldn’t normally get to connect with on a regular basis.

  5. Often times, I find myself on someone’s blog after a series of random click-throughs, and I can’t even remember how I got there. Does that make me a stalker? I don’t think so. At least I hope not.


This is by no means meant to be some heavy-handed bullying tactic to get you lurkers out there to comment. I just want you to know that you’re free to if you’d like to.


Of course the possibility still remains that you are, in fact, a stalker, but that is something you will need to deal with on your own time, probably with the aid of a professional counselor. Nevertheless, I’m banking on the probability that you are just another normal man or woman like me, who likes to read blogs, and found mine.


Welcome to Life Today.

Remember to go over to The Pipers to check out the full version.

No comments: