Saturday, March 22, 2008

Cribbage

Where on earth did this card game come from??
My parents can play this and now I find out so can Steve. He had the pleasure of teaching me over the weekend whilst at the caravan!
OMG what a game, I am sure he was cheating, although I have never played so wouldn't really know, but he definitely got into the cribbage spirit because I almost lost lots of points because I wasn't playing quick enough, but then seeing as I have never played how was I meant to know I could get the points!!
I am sure as I get to know the game more and understand it and know the scoring system better then I might actually enjoy playing it, but we will see.

I did look up info about where it came from on Google. This is what I found...

"Cribbage, or crib, is a card game traditionally for two players, but commonly played with three, four or more, that involves playing and grouping cards in combinations which gain points. Cribbage has several distinctive features: the cribbage board used for scorekeeping, the eponymous crib or box (a separate hand counting for the dealer), two distinct scoring stages (the play and the show) and a unique scoring system including points for groups of cards that total fifteen.
According to John Aubrey, cribbage was created by the English poet Sir John Suckling in the early 17th century, as a derivation of the game "noddy". While noddy has disappeared, crib has survived, virtually unchanged, as one of the most popular games in the English-speaking world. The objective of the game is to be the first player to score a target number of points, typically 61 or 121. Points are scored for card combinations that add up to fifteen, pairs (plus triples and quadruples), runs and flushes."

Steve was taking points left, right and centre! You gained one for this and if you did it this way you gained another, but if you weren't quick enough in taking the point someone else took it! I am sure half the points he took were made up, he could have said you get one for a Queen just because there is a Queen of England for all I know!

So for now I think I will just wait to watch my parents and Steve play together, then I might get a better understanding, although I know my mum tried to teach me many years ago!

No comments: