Saturday, October 06, 2007

Holiday Recipe Share Time

One of the blogs I view daily is running a recipe swap for the holidays.
As everyone is always on the look out for new exciting things to cook for their families I think this is a great idea.
Unfortunately since living in New Zealand I have lost a lot of my Christmas spirit, think it has something to do with the sunshine!
Christmas to me is cold, dark with lots of food, hot chocolate and beautiful lights shinning from all the houses in the street. You wrap up warm in those new sweaters you received on Christmas morning and you spend time all sitting round a blazing fire.

Now I am not saying we don't do Christmas in style here down under, but a BBQ on the beach just isn't the same, plus people don't go all out with oodles of food like they do else where. I do miss that.
So I don't really have any old family holiday recipes that we recycle each year or a special recipe that I just have to remember to make, but I do have a recipe that is right for Christmas with the way life is changing nowadays.

This recipe I stole from my mother, who in turn got given it by a neighbour. I have made it several times and in fact the last time was the best.
My recipe for this holiday recipe swap is Diabetic Fruit Cake
A very simple recipe, but with no added sugar. Which for diabetic people is wonderful and for people watching their weight there is no reason why this can't be useful.
Now I have never adapted the recipe, but in fact was just talking to my partner (who is diabetic) and thought there is no reason why you couldn't add a few of the spices you add to ordinary Christmas cake recipes and probably no reason why you couldn't lace with a little brandy.
I am not altogether sure on the shelf life of this cake, although when I do make it Steve can keep it in an air tight container and have slices for about 2 weeks.

Anyway, here is the recipe:

Diabetic Fruit Cake
1kg Mixed Dried Fruit
2 cups Tea or coffee or Orange Juice
2 cups Self Raising Flour
(spices you could add = 1tsp cinnamon, 1/2tsp nutmeg, 1/2tsp vanilla essence, 1tsp mixed spice or all spice)

Method
Soak the fruit in the desired fluid over night in a large mixing bowl. Tea or coffee does not have to be cold when used.
Preheat oven to 170c / 325f. Line a 23cm cake tine with baking paper.
Stir the flour into the presoaked mixture. (this is when you would add all you favorite spices if using any)
Place in the cake tin, smooth the top and bake for 1 3/4 hours.
Leave to cool in the tin for 5 minutes, turn out onto rack and leave to cool. Store in air tight container.

Enjoy :)

Now it does not affect the flavour depending on what fluid you use. Steve says there is no difference over tea, coffee or OJ.

No comments: