Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Ginger Crunch

Yesterday I decided to make some Ginger Crunch.

For those that are not aware, this is a dry biscuit base with a ginger icing on top. Very gingery and very nice.


I had my trusty Edmonds Cookbook, the one all NZ houses shouldn't be without, and I proceeded as stated.

Ingredients:

125g butter softened
1/2 cup sugar
1 1/2 cps plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp ginger

Method:
Cream butter and sugar. Sift all other ingredients until a dough is formed. Knead on a floured board and then lay in tin.

Bake in 190c oven for 20-25 mins.

Now there is ingredients for the topping and I will give them to you in a moment, but unfortunately for me I never got to that part. For 2 reasons mainly.....

  1. Having followed the recipe as stated all I ended up with was a large mixing bowl of breadcrumbs. No dough, nothing that would ever in the slightest be kneaded! Seemed to me that there was too much dry ingredients and not enough moist to form the dough?
  2. Never answer the phone whilst making anything, especially when your children are hovering to help. 1 phone answered and the next thing I know Ben and Alex are mixing, pouring, spooning and sifting all the breadcrumb dough into any and every container they could find. I actually ended up abandoning the cooking and getting out the vacuum cleaner to clear up the kitchen as there was floury breadcrumb dough everywhere!
Not actually sure what happened, guess I will never know. But I will get some more butter and try again another day.
Oh yea, and for those that want it, here is the topping part.
Topping:
75g Butter
3/4 cp icing sugar
2 tblsp golden syrup
3 tsp ground ginger

In a saucepan combine all ingedients until butter is melted, pour over base when cooked. Cut into squares whilst still warm.

The solution to the problem is to add 3tsp of water to the dough mixture, comes out beautifully.

No comments: