Thursday, April 12, 2012

K is for Kuwait

In 1977 my family moved to Kuwait.

Yes that is correct, Kuwait, the place of the Gulf War in 1991.


We actually flew there 2 days before my 7th birthday, I sort of remember some of it and other parts I don't.
My father worked for a British Cable Company and we had the ultimate pleasure of living there for 4 years.
I actually went to school there for the whole time we lived there. It was a British School set up there. I even went to Brownies and Guides as well.

I visited these towers very often.
They are actually water towers although the largest ball with the windows round it is actually a restaurant.
It was gold if you managed to go there for dinner. The floor rotated inside so throughout dinner you got a full view of Kuwait City and then a full view out over the Gulf. It was awesome.

I can even count from 1 to 10 in Arabic and can read arabic numbers.
I know thank you and hello in Arabic.
Not bad for someone who was 11 years old when she left!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It sounds like you enjoyed your time there. Living in a different country when young sounds like a great experience, one I wish I had been able to have. Alas, I'm Iowan pretty much all the way. *sigh*

Great post! Just another A to Z Challenger stopping by...

Alison said...

What an interesting place to have lived...you'll be glad not to have still been there a few years later though!
Alison xx