Thursday, July 03, 2008

Back!

About 12 years ago I managed to hurt my lower lumbar spine area, over my sacral iliac joint(SIJ) on the left side.
Nobody, including me, has any idea as to what I did, but it was painful and took an nice long 3 weeks to come right.

When I moved here 10 years ago, I was still having trouble with it.
So off I went to see an Osteopath, she did 1 session of something and said all was fine, well all was not fine and a couple of months later I was still suffering, so this time I went to a Chiropractor, this worked.

So on and off over a 3 year period I went to see a Chiropractor who kept me pain free, even managed to relieve the tightness in my neck which affected my hands just after Ben was born. About 18 months to 2 years ago I managed to tweak my SIJ again and this time I saw a Physiotherapist, few sessions later and all was right in the world.

Unfortunately coming home on Saturday from Auckland I managed to tweak my SIJ again whilst twisting in the front seat to deal with the boys.

Yesterday I think I reached the pinnacle of the pain I could take. The strong pain killers are going in, along with the anti inflammatory tablets and slow moving around. I have a physio appointment tomorrow (earliest I could get when I booked on Tuesday!) and I am not at work today. Sitting is uncomfortable without medication and standing takes its toll after a while.

So all in all not a happy time for me.


Have been given the name of an Orthopaedic guy I could get referred to if I wanted to, but not sure what they would do, SIJ areas are very difficult to do anything with and seeing as this is not an ongoing problem and doesn't prevent me from living a full life, well apart from when it gets tweaked once every 2 years or so, I am not sure if seeing him will be benificial. Will think more about it, have medical insurance so not worried if I do need to see him.

As you can see from this picture, the SIJ is located at the base of the spine in the pelvis region. According to some websites I have seen, the SIJ doesn't actually do much, although it has a lot to do during pregnancy and childbirth, although would you believe I never had one iota of pain during my 2 pregnancies with my SIJ, and this was something I was well prepared for.

They actually call in Sacral Iliac Joint Dysfunction on the website and in fact it was quite useful reading stuff on exactly what I have and to see what they recommend.
I like this picture of the pelvis because that is exactly the picture I have in my head of what the pain looks like. A red burning area at the base of the spine in my pelvis.
And that lady in the picture is stood in exactly the same pose as I seem to have during these episodes.
Man this website I found is so good, says everything I already know and feel. Like...
Problems with the SI joint may make sitting difficult. Pain in one SI joint may cause a person to sit with that buttock tilted up. It is usually uncomfortable to sit flat in a chair.
Ok so here endith the science lesson for today, hope you all have a better understanding of my lower back pain and have lots of sympathy for me.
Catch you all when I can sit down again!

No comments: